Kara Stanford, Strategic Marketing Consultant
Kara is an incisive, methodical marketing professional who uses marketing to deliver results. With over 15 years’ experience as a marketing consultant, she understands the needs of SMEs, balancing marketing rigour with realism.
Her passion, enthusiasm and values based approach to both life and business were recognised when she was named the ‘Watertight Marketing Accredited Consultant of the Year’. This award recognises the strategic marketing consultant within the Watertight Marketing Expert Community who has most embodied the shared values in the preceding year.
In announcing the award, creator and founder of Watertight Marketing, Bryony Thomas, commented:
“One of the main reasons Kara stood out for me amongst a community of true experts, was the way that she has consciously designed a business and network that fits with personal definition of success. There’s a lot that many entrepreneurs could learn from Kara about how to find purpose and contentment in their work, not least what she knows about marketing!”
- Chartered Marketer (CIM)
- Watertight Marketing ™ Accredited Marketer
- Marketing tutor and lecturer with Oxford Professional Education Group
- BA (Jt Hons) University of Bristol
Brief career history:
- Worked at LloydsTSB in their Business Banking division; held a couple of roles on a major change programme and at the same time studied for her Post Graduate Diploma in Marketing with the Chartered Institute of Marketing.
- Moved to the public sector. As Avon Fire and Rescue Service’s first Marketing Manager, she pioneered the infant techniques of social marketing and implemented key Internal Communication strategies.
- In 2006, became a freelance consultant, working with over 20 organisations in the public and private sector, using process improvement, performance management, learning and development and marketing and communication techniques to bring about organisational change.
- Following a career break, in 2011 moved with her family to the French Pyrenees; took up the new post of Marketing Director of a small tour operator business.
- Returned to the UK, and established KMS Marketing in 2013, providing SMEs with an affordable way to have a professional, multi-layered marketing team.
- Following maternity leave, Kara returned to KMS Marketing in January 2016, focusing on strategic marketing, providing marketing reviews and planning and select implementation.
Random stuff about Kara
- She loves learning languages… but isn’t very good at them! Languages she has varying levels of proficiency in are: French, Spanish, German, Italian, Latin, Maltese, Welsh. She is trying her hand at Arabic but was totally defeated by Chinese and Russian!
- She’d much rather be… outdoors! BC (Before Children) this would involve hiking, walking, being in the sea. These days (AC, After Children) it involves her garden and her on-going quest to grow her own vegetables. She’s not self sustaining… yet!
- She’d love to… travel again. BC involved lots of city trips and fun trips abroad, including a year out travelling to places such as Argentina, Chile, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea etc. She did take her family to China when her son was six months old and her daughter five. Following a 12-hour flight with her son screaming and vomiting the entire way home, she conceded to her husband that France is a more accessible family holiday destination… for the moment.